By default, Internet Explorer in Windows Vista™ keeps a running log of all the web sites you type into the Internet Explorer Address Bar. Sometimes, this can be beneficial, as a drop down listing of recently visited web site addresses will appear, when you begin typing a few characters of any web site address. This allows you to click on any of the listed web sites without finishing your typing, which will save you time and keystrokes. However, this drop down web site address feature can have possible ramifications if you wish to have your recently visited web sites kept confidential. Therefore, this advanced tip will help you clear the contents of the Internet Explorer Address Bar.
Clearing The Internet Explorer Address Bar Contents
- Before you begin, make sure that the Internet Explorer web browser is fully closed.
- Click the Start button located in the lower-left corner of the Windows Vista desktop.
- Then click on Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization.
- Then click on Taskbar and Start Menu to display the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
- Now, click on the Start Menu Tab at the top of the screen.
- Then click on the Customize button to the right hand side of the Classic Start menu option.
- You may have to enable this Classic Start menu setting to click on its Customize button.
- Once enabled, click on the Clear button located on the right hand side of the screen.
- Notice how the Clear button shades gray denoting that the items are now cleared.
- This Clear button will also clear all recently accessed documents, programs and web sites.
- Now click on the OK button to close the Customize Classic Start Menu Window.
- If you enabled the Classic Start menu setting, you can switch back to the regular menu here.
- Then click the OK button to close the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties Window.
- You can now also close the no longer needed open Control Panel window as well.
- For best results, it is recommended for you to reboot your computer system.
- Then, open Internet Explorer and click on the down arrow at the end of the Address Bar line.
- You will notice how all your formerly visited web sites addresses are now fully cleared.